Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe.
You can have Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe
- It’s 600-700 gr of potatoes (any variety that is good for mash) or mixed with celeriac for lighter choice.
- It’s 1 of medium shallot, chopped.
- You need 1/2 of onion, chopped.
- You need 2 of medium carrot, cubed approx. 0.5cm.
- Prepare 250-300 gr of cubed (05.cm) meat of your choice (chicken/pork/beef/cooked prawn/sausage/tinned spam) or vegetarian meat substitute or tofu.
- You need 1 handful of thinly sliced wood ear mushroom (Auricularia auricula-judae aka jelly ear or Jew's ear or black fungus. In Indonesian known as jamur kuping).
- It’s 1 handful of glass noodle (soaked in hot water for no longer than 2 minutes then drain).
- You need 1/2 cup of peas (frozen or fresh or tin).
- Prepare 100-150 ml of stock (chicken or vegetable or beef stock).
- Prepare of Milk or corn flour (optional).
- It’s of Parsley and/or chives, chopped.
- It’s 4 of Boiled eggs (optional), cut into quarters.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- It’s 1/2 cup of grated cheese (cheddar or any type you like).
- You need 1 pinch of Salt, Pepper.
- It’s 1 pinch of ground nutmeg (optional).
Grandma Liem’s Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Cottage Pie) Recipe instructions
- Steam or boil the potatoes (and/or celeriac if you like) then mash it with a touch of butter. If you like creamier mash add milk as you like..
- Stir fry the chopped onion and shallots until soft. Add the cubbed carrot, meat (or vegetarian substitute), peas (if use tinned pea, add this last), mushroom. Add the glass noodle and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Pour stock. If you want it creamy, add a few spoonful of milk or corn flour mixed with water. Add the chopped herbs (parsley/chives).
- Transfer the filling into an oven proof dish. If using boiled egg, arrange the quartered eggs on top..
- Cover with mash potato. Brush with egg and sprinkle some grated cheese..
- Bake in the oven 190-200C for 30-40 minutes (until the top is golden brown)..
- Serve with salad (if you like), mayonnaise and (if you have Indonesian taste) chilli sauce (Sambal ABC or sriracha)..