Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie. This Healthy Shepherd's Pie calls for olive oil instead of butter, extra-lean ground beef, lots of vegetables, and a cauliflower-potato mash topping for a lighter take on the classic that's still FULL of flavor! Photography Credit: Alison Bickel..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
Scroll down to the recipe card for the full instructions. My very flavorful version departs from tradition. This healthy shepherds pie recipe has lots of veggies, tender lamb (or beef), wonderful spices and olive oil mashed potatoes. You can have Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare 2 head of of Cauliflower.
- You need 1 tbsp of Milk.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 2 lb of Ground Turkey or Chicken.
- Prepare 1 of Onion.
- Prepare 25 of small Carrots, or so.
- It’s of Garlic (Powder or Fresh).
- You need 2 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 1/2 can of Beef or Chicken Broth.
- It’s 1 cup of Shredded Cheese (I tried Mozz this time.).
- You need of Salt and Pepper.
- You need 2 tablespoons of flour.
I've tried many a shepherd's pie recipe and this one is my absolute favorite because it's packed with flavor and way lower in fat and calories than the norm. Healthy Ish American Shepherds Pie.and more. Features of the app # Step by step easy to follow # Full offline # Attractive design # Shepherds Pie Recipes search feature # Illustration interesting presentation. Easy to make, and made with an amazingly delicious Garlic Roasted Mashed Cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes (tastes identical).
Healthy-ish American Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Start the cauliflower mash. Boil a pot of water then add cauliflower. Let cook approx 10-15 minutes, or until soft..
- Start Meat. Sauté with oil: onion and carrots, then garlic. Add meat, and lightly brown. Add flour, then Worcestershire sauce and broth. Add salt and pepper as needed..
- You can add green beans and corn to meat pan..
- Drain cauliflower, add milk, butter and salt and pepper as needed. Blend in blender until reaches mashed potato -like consistency..
- Grease 2-3 qt casserole dish. Add layer of meat, then layer of cheese, then cauliflower mash on top. Make sure cauliflower mash covers to the sides so meat does not boil out and cause a mess. Add a dash of paprika on top..
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for 10 mins..
Shepherds Pie is a favorite Irish meal, especially around St. This is a healthy version with cauliflower in place of potatoes. Shepherd's pie with a cauliflower topping instead of the traditional potato topping to sneak in some extra vegetables. American Shepherd's Pie, known elsewhere as Cottage Pie, is a casserole containing ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, peas and corn, and topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. It's a great way to use up both leftover vegetables and mashed potatoes.